Thursday, September 5, 2013

Fear Of Flying? Not Really....

In less than a month my best friend Joana and I will be on our way to Chile. This will be my first trip internationally. My first passport stamp!  I can remember getting my passport like it was yesterday…I randomly decided to apply but secretly I was hoping I’d meet a man who’d want to whisk me away on a whirlwind trip to Italy on a whim. I had to be ready. I mean, a girl can dream right? LOL…

Fast forward almost two years later and I’m finally going somewhere. And I’m nervous as hell about flying. Just to give you some background I was 25 years old the first time I flew anywhere and I can count on one hand the number of roundtrip flights I have taken in my life. The last time I flew (in Jan to Miami) was a bit nerve wrecking. On the return flight home, the plane hit some turbulence. Of course, the plane was rocking a bit and it felt like the plane descended a little. At the same time the plane descended, my stomach dropped. Immediately I am like “God PLEASE don’t let this plane crash. Please let this be over…” and a few minutes later, it was over. However, that experience stayed etched in my mind.

4 weeks from today, I will be boarding a plane for the first time since January. Admittingly I’m cool with the flight to Miami. It’s the flight from Miami to Santiago Chile that concerns me. It’s approximately 9 hours and I haven’t been on a flight longer than 5. Then there’s this whole added factor of a plane crash. I was talking to my PNC about flying and he mentioned the Concorde flights, which led to the Concorde Crash…which wasn’t a good idea.

Let me get this straight: I’m NOT AFRAID to fly. I will gladly get on the plane and go…it’s crashing that concerns me. It makes me nervous because if a plane crashes, you can’t really do anything about it. And yes I know statistics show that a person is more likely to be in a car crash but that’s just common sense right? We aren’t talking just about accidents; it’s dying in those accidents. A plane crashes and you’re most likely dead. (Keep in mind I watched ‘We Are Marshall’ on Saturday).  I am beyond excited to go but I can’t deny flying makes me anxious. It always has, its’ not just this trip.

So I’m trying to refocus my attention. I stay on Trip Advisor reading up on Chile, making notes of all the places I hope I can see, all of the wine I am going to drink, and trying to figure out what to pack (I think I need a bigger suitcase…7 days means at least 10 outfits).  It’s a bit overwhelming. But I’m happy. I’m most excited about Valapariso (so much culture!)  and Vina Matetic (the vineyard we are staying at is GORGEOUS see that pic?) I plan on flooding your TLs on twitter and instagram with amazing pictures. Make sure you follow me!

And if you have any suggestions on how to NOT be nervous on a flight, please let me know. It’d be greatly appreciated
.
Twitter: @StephBMore

Instagram: Steph_BMore

1 comment:

  1. Just keep chatting to your friend, think about your destination and keep yourself occupied with reading the travel guide and making notes. Flying is safe. You have oxygen, life jacket, seat belt and knowledgeable cabin staff. If there's Chilean sitting besides you, just chat to him/her as well. Ask about nice places, etc =). enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete