Monday, September 10, 2012

Update: Voting and Other Random Things

I feel bad y'all. Real bad. I haven't blogged since the meditation challenge. But life moves so fast, and I have been so busy! Things change from day to day quickly. But life is always amazing. So I give thanks for everything.

 The two biggest things that have happened are me moving into a new (much doper) place! And me getting a new job (it took over a month to get this job!). The funny thing is I got fired (laid off) from my old job this past Friday and I started my new job today. I was actually hoping that would happen because I couldn't' give the proper two weeks and this way they are actually paying me three checks (instead of two) which means I'm about to get that new MAC Pro with retinal display in October (waiting on that 13 inch joint to drop...).

Anyway...real quick...I want to talk about voting. If you have followed me for a while you might remember my infamous "F!ck the Vote" post. That was two years ago and I was headstrong, a rebel, a conspiracy theorist, and just all around on that "Fuck the government." I have to be honest: I feel the same way. But recently I realized this ain't just about me and how I feel. It's bigger than me. While on Facebook I saw some posts from the youth I mentored this past spring and several of them echoed my sentiments about voting and how worthless it was. The conspiracy side of me felt proud that my kids weren't buying into this illusion of democracy. But then my rational (lol...yes I said rational) side said "This is sad. I don't want my kids to feel hopeless about the world and their situation. I don't want them thinking voting is completely worthless. I don't want them to TRY to make a difference at least." And I realized...I can't say anything to them about voting when I don't vote myself and I said the exact same things they said.

I meditated.
I contemplated.
I had an epiphany.

 And that was: this is bigger than me. I recently was in a meeting where we discussed healthcare. This is my passion. This is what I went to school for and what I want my PhD in, so it was a great talk. During this discussion, Obama and Romney's plans were discussed and I realized how important the healthcare issue is in this upcoming election. This isn't about me. I can't be an advocate for public health and not vote. How ridiculous is that? How crazy was I being?

 Also, I have to set a good example for the kids I mentor. I pride myself on being positive and uplifting to them at all times. I haven't been. I want them to know that they can make a difference. I want them to at least TRY to make a difference. Despite my opinions on voting, it's just that: an OPINION. Not fact. To not even TRY to make a difference goes against everything I stand for and that's not right. We have to try.

I still believe in revolution. I still think it's necessary. I also believe in setting an example. So I'll vote and still keep working in my community to improve our situation and lives.

*excuse my grammar. I know I used a lot of ebonics but it is what it is. For now.

No comments:

Post a Comment