Basically I wanted a butterfly and my tattoo artist, Slim, had drawn one I really like a few months ago but somehow neither of us saved the picture or could pinpoint the one I really liked. Not that we tried hard. Then I wanted a Sankofa. Last week I was going to go get one but THEN I had to cancel twice...so the other day as I am browsing the internet I came across this picture. And I fell in love instantly.
Those who know me know I am interested in symbolism, religion, reincarnation, and things of that nature. I immediately pinpointed 4 symbols in this butterfly and knew it was for me. Then I translated the page (it was some Italian joint) and read about the rest. THIS was the tattoo I have been waiting for.
So basically I'm going to give a quick run down on the symbols and what they mean (click on links to see a picture of the symbol by itself):
- Butterfly: As we all know the symbol of transformation and rebirth.
- Sankofa: Adinkra symbol meaning to learn from the past
- Bese Saka: Adinkra symbol meaning abundance and unity
- Om: Used in several Indian religions to represent God, the primeval mantra, and consciousness
- Ankh: Egyptian symbol representing eternal life and protection
- Koru: Maori symbol representing new life, growth, peace, and continuity
What a beautiful representation of the journey I am currently on...I couldn't think of anything more perfect than this tattoo. I think Slim did a great job and I'm excited to get more ink (despite the fact that tattoos HURT!!!). P.S. you can see my Malcolm X tattoo in the corner. LOL.
Follow Slim on twitter: www.twitter.com/tat2slim
Check his work here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TaT2slim/236497157866
He's located at Greene Ave Tattoo in Brooklyn NY
Follow me too if you aren't: www.twitter.com/flyspacequeen