Monday, April 11, 2011

Why I got the Malcolm X tattoo...

A few days ago I posted a picture of my "new" Malcolm X tattoo on twitter. Despite the fact that I got this tattoo over a month ago, it got quite the response. (Perhaps it was the bra?!? Victoria Secret, demi cup, leopard and lace). I am now constantly being asked "What made you do that?" and I don't mind the question, but twitter is not enough room to explain so I'll just do a brief answer here. I can never fully explain to anyone my decisions because they are mine alone and no one will ever feel what I feel...but I will try my best. Bear with me.

So in Jan I was thinking of getting a new tattoo. I want a sleeve, but I had no ideas. The one thing Slim (my tattoo artist) constantly says is you have to have your own  ideas about what you want. I didn't know what I wanted so I gave up on that idea. Then the Egyptian revolution popped off and I was engulfed in that whole movement. It was amazing to me to see people fight back for their freedom. I am of the idea that freedom in American is a farce. Regardless of race, Americans are not "free" and the American *negro* is even less free than their white counterparts. In respect to the whole world, our lives are wonderful however...it is all an illusion. But a great one at least.

Anyway...no politics just facts. In support of my Egyptian family I tweeted love/support/quotes. Most of my quotes came from Brother Malcolm. I love this man. I then decided that one of his quotes on freedom would be an excellent choice. However, the quote was quite long. While looking at Malcolm X tattoos on google, I came across the infamous picture of Brother Malcolm at the window with the gun. I had an epiphany.

I ran to Slim. Slim looked hesitant and then said fuck it. A week later, he blessed me. I loved it. I LOVE IT. And will be adding "By Any Means Necessary" later.

It's as simple (or maybe as complex) as that.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting people know why you got the tattoo. When someone asks why one got a tattoo of a specific thing, its nice to get an answer. But never feel like you have to defend your choices of your being.

    I do however slightly disagree with your statement on freedom in America. Especially in regards to what's going on in Africa, Americans, African Americans and ever other race that has the chance to grow up/live in a Western country, should feel blessed to be able to live FREE. Your life is what you make of it, and the fact you live in a Western country, you actually have a choice in that making. The people in Egypt, Libya, Yemen, Sudan, do not have that choice. I think it's more important to emphasize that, than to focus on "the illusion". I respect your opinion, just felt the need to express mine on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pay I think a majority people feel the way you do. I realize my views are somewhat radical and different that most. It depends on your definition of freedom. My position is that we don't have a choice in America. I do not believe the democracy system works the way it should here. I don't think we elect our officials, they are chosen for us. I do think our voices are heard, in a country where there are more people of color, we are called "minorities". I feel money is fake, religion is used to pacify the masses, our American freedom is illusion, we are free as long as we follow their rules.

    This is esoteric and on a different level of understand. I don't expect most people to understand my position, so on this I build with those who do. The grass is always greener. The inception is real. Life is not. So I bide my time here until it's time for my energy to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, think it's fly & definitely different from the constant tribal tatts or praying hands or RIPs... it suits your spirit. Glad you rolled with the idea...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. It looks like Malcolm's got your back at all times. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree wholeheartedly with your stance on freedom in America, but that's a post for another day. I loved the tat when I first saw it and it got thrown in the queue of ideas for tats (not that one, specifically) that mean something to me. Unfortunately, I have a couple that mean less to me than the ink used to make them, but that all changed with my "Do Better" tat. I actually LOVE explaining the inspiration behind that ink to people because I know what it means to me and it is something that I am proud of.

    Again, nice ink and I can't wait to get home to get a few more to add to my collection.

    ReplyDelete