Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Rock the Vote? No Thank You...

I'm not voting today.

Go ahead and judge me. It doesn't bother me at all, because regardless of what anyone says..."I'm NOT voting today." For what? Yes, I am one of those people who thinks my vote doesn't count...because in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't. First off...let's be clear: I AM a registered voter (in Maryland). I registered to vote the moment I turned 18. I was so happy, so proud. I know my ancestors are proud. Blacks (and women) fought long and hard for the right to vote. I am not naive nor ignorant to the plight of my people. I am also affliated with the democratic party, and I vote partisan. For those of you who are not up on American Government 101 that means I vote the democratic ticket ALL THE TIME. I see "Dem" and I just vote. Why? Because I am 78% confident that my views are more linked to that of a democrat than a republican, or any other random party listed on the ballot. Because of this line of thinking, voting for me is often unnecessary.

Maryland just happens to be a "blue" state, which means I don't really need to vote. I am sure Martin O'Malley will be just fine. Then again, people are wild angry with him so who knows? *pause* Okay okay...so what are you saying...I should vote because of the different referendum and proposals, etc that are placed on the ballot. Now this is true...and that's the part I feel bad about. However the biggest issue in MD is "Where should we put the slots?" and quite frankly, I don't care where they go. I don't live close to either place and probably won't ever go play those slots. What else? I don't know...that's all they talk about here. SLOTS, SLOTS, SLOTS.

Let me be honest...I am just jaded. No candidates move me, they haven't in a long time. Barack Obama did an excellent job riling up the public and now everyone who was so in love with this man take every opportunity they can to hate on him. My issue is change is NOT just about voting. It's about action. What good is your vote if you dont' go out there and become the change you want to see?

People go vote and then a few months later they are on twitter, facebook, or some message board complaining how everything is still the same or getting worse. What are you doing? Besides posting all day? Nothing. I don't vote because I don't see change. I don't see change because people aren't united. I can't expect the person I vote for to make MY life better, and that's what people want. They can't make our lives better...the only way for America to get better is through Revolution.

But ya'll aren't ready for a Revolution. Most people are comfortable with going into a room, filling in some bubbles, putting their "future" in someone else's hands and then going on about their lives. I am not that person. My life will be the same no matter who I vote for. Next year, or the year after we will be riling up again on some "if you don't vote, nothing will change" type steez.

I am over it. If you want real change, then let's start a revolution. Let's overthrow this mockery of a government and put the power back in the hands of the people. But ya'll don't want that. Suffice to say, while quite a few of my followers go out and rock the vote today, I'll be at work...or twitter.

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting points. I agree that most people have no clue what is going on and go out and vote aimlessly. Most people won't know what question A is about but try will vote on it nonetheless. My only opinion is that change occurs in many ways. One for of change is through some type of social action. It could be as minute as switching parties or as revolutionary as a governmental overthrow. In either case, change will occur. In the case of voting, it may seem pointless but when combined with other votes it makes a big difference. Sometimes small incremental changes can have the same results as the larger social actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ehhh one hand you have a couple of valid points..on the other hand you sound kinda hypocritical. You know the plight but won't vote bc you don't think it matters or don't see change. Where they do that at? Did you vote in the presidential campaign? And if so - what's the difference btw then and now as far as you voting. You may not see change for years..shit REAL change might not even happen in our lifetime, but the mindset of you "don't see change" is kind of selfish. I'm not big on politics, I vote Dem and I also voted for Obama bc I believed in him, have my feelings changed about him? Not at all. Did I know that he was going to have the time of his life (meaning difficult) in office and feel that he may not be re-elected? Yes. It's all about taking steps TOWARD the change that we seek.

    Regardless of what you think..everyone's vote DOES count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The small pot (local politicians you vote for) stirs the big pot (federal spending and programs for the inner city)... Pretty basic concept for any potential voter.

    However, I think some of your points are valid, but they are unfounded. Pretty much based on a few accounts from social networking sites.

    You vote as a legacy. Teach kids the importance of voting as it relates to our history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to believe that the small pot stirs the big pot...but that's not true for my community. What I see is schools closing down every day due to lack of funding regardless of who I voted for the last election (those who promised funds, where are they?). So I should continually vote for those who don't have my (our) best interest at heart? I have voted, I did feel out my 2010 census...and 10 years ago I voted, and I did fill out the census and so I should bide my time and wait for this miraculous change or these mysterious funds to appear from thin air? No.

    We vote, they get into office...we say 'where's what you promised' and they say 'oh well, it takes time, there is some things we have to sign' excuses, excuses, excuses. Regardless, you will only get what they want to give you.

    So instead of waiting on people to give us ANYTHING, we need to take it. I'm not saying don't vote, I am saying I'm not voting.

    And that if you want real change, and your vote to truly count...instead of tweeting about it, you need to be about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel the same way about voting in my country, in relation to my shitty ass government and its system. As "democratic" as the country is, my vote goes nowhere. I voted over and over the past years (our government fell a few times, shows how wack it is already), and nothing happened. And like you said, me voting and putting people in the office, doesn't change anything for MY life. On my end, my situation is getting worse next year, thanks to our new recent founded government. Eff that.

    I feel you. Even though I'm in a different country with a different government and different politics and systems. I. Feel. You.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wont even argue with you on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You weren't the only one who didn't vote. I agree with your blog 100%.
    Quite simply, and I wanted to write a long, elaborate response, but I think I can sum it up by just saying this: I will vote again when I feel I am not going to be voting for a liar. Which, sadly, may not be in this lifetime. What makes it worse is that I live in the most corrupt state in the country, within one of the top 2 or 3 most corrupt counties..literally just 10 mins away from NYC.
    In the end, and this is something I wouldn't have said a few years ago, but since my lifestyle and beliefs have changed: I only have to answer to God. man cannot control man, it will never work.
    -Sean
    s_g1223

    ReplyDelete