Thursday, May 27, 2010

Sometimes I just need a hug...

 Do you ever get so overwhelmed with life that you wish you could just push the pause button? I never want it to end but sometimes, especially at night, I lie in my bed and it feels like I am suffocating. I can't breath, I can't think clear, and I'm lost. Trying to explain this to people in my circle and family is hard...they don't get it. They think my life is good, and I should be grateful.

I am grateful.

However being grateful doesn't mean becoming content and complacent.

I remember one day a few years ago I was at work in the Picture People and I was beyond sad. I was so fed up with the day and I was tired. I had took pictures of this little 3 year old girl on a whim, I offered the mom a free picture of her daughter if she let me take a few. So the little girl was very whimsical throughout and it made me laugh. When they came back to see the pictures, I was sitting on the floor, tired, fed up and just wanted to go home. The little girl turned to me and gave me a hug. She squeezed me so tight and I felt so much love, I wanted to cry.

Her mother looks up and says "Aww are you being friendly?...she never hugs people. She must knew you needed one."

Isn't that odd? A little girl can sense pain but grown folks around me are so wrapped up in themselves that they don't notice what other people are going through. Anyway...I entered her picture into the yearly contest Picture People had. And the picture won for our store. I still have the picture I took, and I sometimes look at it and remember that day.

So yeah...sometimes...all I want is a hug. Is that too much to ask for?

3 comments:

  1. it's the simple things that seem to have to most impact. do iHugs count? ((((((HUG)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Great post Stef! That story touched me. This is why the scriptures says we must have a heart like a child. They see our hearts and souls. That is why I LOVE being a teacher. It is tough, but on those days I need a hug I get plenty:)

    I remember when I was in college and I felt alone. I ran into an old friend who told me I talked to your sister the other day and she said you are great. I was like what? After I began to work through my issues(went to counseling) I verbalized how I felt to my fam and friends. I told them what I needed. Slowly I recieved the support I longed for! The great thing is tho I have the tools now to give myself what I need too:) Praying with you sis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can definitely relate to this. People see me and the content of my life and assume that I am some hard body who is incapable of being loved or showing emotion. As a result, when things get to be too much for me to bear, I blow up because I usually don't have anyone to confide in. I'm working on changing my circle. Even the so-called "tough guys" need love once and again...

    ReplyDelete