Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Census 2010: We can't move forward indeed...

I debated making this blog for a few days now. I know this might seem petty or childish to some people...and I admit I laughed but seriously I do feel a certain way...so fuck it. This is MY blog so let me express MY feelings.

I hate the new Census. I hate the attempt at a mainstream pop-ish song featuring people of various races (what races depends on what channel) singing "We can't move forward until you mail it back!!" and people are dancing around like that's the banging shit in the club. I hate the fact that they want to know everyone's business. Why do you need names and birthdays. And why is now required by law that you answer the damn Census. But beware...if you don't...they will call you because despite them asking for your number, they already have it. And if you don't answer, that's cool too. They will send their field workers to your house to ask you that survey. So I guess it's best that you do it yourself. I am surprised that they didn't ask for SS#s on that bitch too. Maybe in 2020...or we might be lucky by then and already have chips implanted in us so there will be no need for a Census. I slightly understand why immigrants would NOT fill out this form. I'd be scared I was going to be picked up too.

*time out...did I just say that out loud? Yeah I did. Do I believe that would happen? Maybe...shit who knows*

I sort of feel like the Infamous Lady T "I think they are making the census so important & "mandatory" this yr bec they NEED 2 kno how many ppl there are 2 smack dwn #martiallaw" 

And I open it up and what do I see under race: "Black, African Am., or Negro". WORD. I thought we were moving forward. Okay...I don't consider myself negro but I guess it's all the same to the people at the census. Someone must have complained because they issued this statement:

In this day and age, why is the word "Negro" included as part of the race question on the 2010 Census form?

The wording of the race category labeled "Black, African Am., or Negro" is based on Office of Management and Budget standards and Census Bureau research that showed a segment of the population still identifies itself as "Negro." The Census Bureau has a research team dedicated to investigating issues and analyzing data on the nation's diverse racial and ethnic groups. The Census Bureau is testing the removal of the term "Negro" from the question on race, and results of this research will inform design changes for future surveys and the 2020 Census. We are sorry if some are offended by the use of this word in the 2010 Census and hope that it will not stop them from returning their forms and being fully counted by the census.

*rolls eyes again*
That's cool. But I am pretty sure we could apply this logic to the term "colored". I am sure there are many people who call themselves "colored". What the fuck ever. And several white people have said not to be upset or use "common sense" when dealing with the Census. My "common" sense says fuck this form and fuck the government's nosy ass trying to figure out who I got in my house.

But my intellect says to look at that shitty schools in my hood, the lack of parks and libraries, and the destruction of the black community and how can I NOT turn it back in if that means getting a few more dollars than before. And real talk white people...no disrespect but I don't think any of you are in any position to tell a black person how to feel about still being labeled in a disparaging way. One of my girls (who is Hispanic) is upset because she can't correctly classify her race. And at first I was like "girl please" but I can't relate to her specific concern...so I have to respect that...so anyway....I did fill it out. But I left off names and other identifying information. Let them call me on that...even tho I did leave my number off too.

We were niggas before...I guess I can be a negro for the greater good of the community.

Edit: I wrote this blog in less than 10 minutes so please forgive any mistakes or if it's all over the place. but this is how I feel.

8 comments:

  1. I love the way you write!! Oh and all this fire - great! I am loving that too. I am very happy to see your discontent w/the census. As upsetting as it may be to see the word "Negro" on the Census, there are some other issues there as well. Read this post whenever you get a chance. My mom even commented on the blog, lol (she works with the courts) http://www.uptownnotes.com/negro-please-the-census-3-things-to-care-about/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Negro means Black in the Spanish language so I've never been offended when I see it along with Black and/or African American. I personally do not classify myself as an African American because I wasn't born or raised in Africa. However, if someone else wants to classify themselves as such, more power to them. My father is over 50 and he still classifies himself as a Negro so I think it is something that certain age groups can relate to and for those who can't, that's what we have Black and African American for :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My problem is with the whole movement to "go forward" but yet the Census back tracks with this "negro" category. My mother and father are both over 50 and my grandmothers are both over 80. They would not say they are "negro" they would say "black". My great grandmother might have said "colored" if she was so inclined. The rational for leaving "negro" is flawed. They say they left it because people still use that term, which is true. But in Time it states that many people (the ones who they are leaving it in for) WROTE in "negro" on the lines. It seems to me that leaving it on the survey just for them to write it in on the "other" line is redundant. Maybe they are a different type of negro that shouldn't be included in the black or African American category.

    At any rate...this was never a deterrent for me. I just don't see the point of a census when I never see anything being done. But hopefully I am wrong and me filling out the form will help someone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was thinking the term negro might be used by non african-americans. people from spanish speaking countries or arab countries who might not otherwise lump themselves in with african-americans..

    i was also shocked that they now have like 50 different races when before it was just black or white (plus ethnicity)..now laotian is a race o_O

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW this was a deep post!! Made me open my eyes and think. This is crazy! "Negro" Really?? I heard so many people talking about this smh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recently, I found the 2010 Census form hanging on my door. As I began filling it out, I came across a dilemma. The U.S. government wants to know if my children are adopted or not and it wants to know what our races are. Being adopted myself, I had to put “Other” and “Don’t Know Adopted” for my race and “Other” and “Don’t Know” for my kids’ races.

    Can you imagine not knowing your ethnicity, your race? Now imagine walking into a vital records office and asking the clerk for your original birth certificate only to be told “No, you can’t have it, it’s sealed.”

    How about being presented with a “family history form” to fill out at every single doctor’s office visit and having to put “N/A Adopted” where life saving information should be?

    Imagine being asked what your nationality is and having to respond with “I don’t know”.

    It is time that the archaic practice of sealing and altering birth certificates of adopted persons stops.

    Adoption is a 5 billion dollar, unregulated industry that profits from the sale and redistribution of children. It turns children into chattel who are re-labeled and sold as “blank slates”.

    Genealogy, a modern-day fascination, cannot be enjoyed by adopted persons with sealed identities. Family trees are exclusive to the non-adopted persons in our society.

    If adoption is truly to return to what is best for a child, then the rights of children to their biological identities should NEVER be violated. Every single judge that finalizes an adoption and orders a child’s birth certificate to be sealed should be ashamed of him/herself.

    I challenge all readers: Ask the adopted persons that you know if their original birth certificates are sealed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thr first census in 1790 asked one simple question. (Two if you count the name of the head of household question, but only the head of each household answered that, not everyone in the household.) The name question aside, the one question was, how many voters in this household. Not 10 questions, not 28 pages of questions as in the American Community Survey. Just one: how many voters?
    Sign me, Resident Apt.1
    www.censusthis.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete