Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Black Friday Experience

For the first time in over 5 years I decided to do "Black Friday". Now I had everything planned in my mind and I had stacks of coupons in my oversized Dooney and Burke bag ready to go. I actually started shopping this past Tuesday on Amazon and managed to get one book (urban literature; I am so ashamed) and two DVDs ("Maria full of grace" and "I am Legend") for less than $20. This was a great deal. "I am Legend" was only $2 brand new, widescreen edition.

As soon as midnight hit on Friday, I saw some online deals that looked great. I only bought from one place, Philosophy. Paypal makes it incredibly easy to spend more money than you should. I bought body wash and lip gloss for a flat fee (free shipping) for $10.

I got up late to go shopping at the mall (around 8:00 am). I get to the mall and it's like a regular Saturday. It was no types of packed or anything. The busiest store was Chikfila. I thought maybe everyone shopped early since the mall opened at  6 but I overheard one of the cashiers at Express say that they could let some people go home early because it's dead. There was this sexy black dress at Express I wanted. It costs $120 and you could get 30% off. I tried to justify this purchase in my mind but my ass doesn't go anywhere so I didn't buy it. I buy my sister's present from the mall, but that's really it. I wanted to exchange this bra I bought in NYC but Vikki's didn't have the bra and I wasn't going to return it for $3. (I had used a good ass coupon on the bra)

My next stop is Target.  I actually spent a nice chunk at Target. I bought baby stuff for my cousin's baby. Girl baby outfits are beyond cute and I went in. And I got some Nuks for her. I love how cute nuks are. For myself I got a shirt. And a mirror for my house so I can see how I look when I am working out. (HEY!!!!!) and a box of Pepperidge Farm Gingerbread cookies that I have smashed already.

In the midst of all this, I go to the bank and complete my credit card application (I was approved! Let's continue to improve the credit into 2010) and upgrade my checking account to a more premiere one. I felt good about those positive steps I am making to get financially sound again. I am planning on another financial blog soon to give some advice (not professional, just things I learned) before December is over. It will update on everything I have done since I made the Do Better Blog.

Overall...the day was semi-productive. I think I could have stayed home and worked. I actually got back in the house by 1 pm. But I could have just stayed in the bed and shopped online instead of venturing outside.

3 comments:

  1. shopping.... (green with envy. no cash to burn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you're progressing. You've been trying for a while to get those finances right. Keep it up hun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate black friday. them old ladies were out in full effect causing all types of fuggery.

    ReplyDelete