Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Ecstatic Tour (9/16/2009)

Wednesday was the second to last stop of Mos Def's Ecstatic Tour. I am so happy they came to Baltimore because I missed the DC show a few months ago, and I was quite sad about that. For this show, my concert partner Sam and I got back in action and went out to Sonar (with her husband Jovan). (EDIT: the sound was only horrible where I was standing but I am not editing this whole post...the videos at the end sound good)

The show was at Sonar and doors opened at 7:30. I got there at 9 only to be told that Mos Def is not performing until 12. I assumed that Kweli would go on first, and that would be at 11. *sigh* It was definitely going to be a long night.

Anywho, the first performer was a dude named Hassan. I am sure I am spelling it wrong because I can't find him on google. Honestly I don't know who he is, and I came in after he started. Let me say, he was spitting some good shit but the sound in Sonar has gotten HORRIBLE. I couldn't hear half of what he was saying.

Next up was DCQ of Medina Green. This was promoted as being a "Medina Green" Act but it was just him. He was decent. I don't know the names of any of the songs he did, but he did kill what I could hear. Sorry I can't do better.

Next was Jay Electronica. I won't lie: I was hating on the player all day about him. Last time I saw him at Rock the bells, he was not great. He was decent, but not great. Dude straight up killed the show this time. I was shocked. I was like ORLY?!?! He went in. Again too bad the sound was all types of fucked up.

Next was Talib Kweli. Excellent as always. He stays going in. Most of the songs he played where from the last album, but he did do "Hostile Gospel" (my fav) and he ended with "Get By".

Then finally...Mos Def. He came out and played the drums. I would dare to say that he performed the whole Ecstatic Album. I still don't understand how people like that album but hate The New Danger. He did do "Close to the edge" off that album. U R The One from True Magic. Kweli comes back out and he does "Definition" and some other joint (horrible horrible sound...I went deaf by this time). He then does a "tribute" to Michael Jackson and sings "Billy Jean" (video at the bottom). He does a small rant on how Kanye is his brother and that he doesn't deserve to be crucified. Etc, Etc...he ends with "Umi Says."

All for $40.

4.5 out of 5. Best show I have went to in a while (shit...the only show I went to in a while...).
I didnt take a lot of pics because for some reason tall ass dudes love to stand in the front so I can't see. If you follow me on twitter, I think I tweeted a few. Facebook has some too.

Mos Def performances





2 comments:

  1. Yeah this sounds like the NYC show verbatim except I'm jealous that Kweli did damn near every stop BUT NYC.
    Just Blaze was Jay's hypeman and they were acting a FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!

    ReplyDelete