Sunday, August 9, 2009

Do Better Movement: Challenge Yourself

I want to start off this week right. Last week was very complicated.

I was reminded of the "Do Better Movement", a movement started by someone, some years ago...I honestly don't remember where it came from. Essentially the movement is about doing YOU and making the most of your life. You strive to better yourself in all areas of your life and become the best person you can be. I am always on this mission, even those days when I am down and out. I try to limit my complaints because I do know I am blessed. And that's what this blog is about: BLESSINGS.

Count your blessings everyday. Make a joyful noise until the Lord (Psalms 100). I think a lot of times we get caught up in our of lives and our own problems that we forget to give thanks to the most high (whoever He/She/They may be to you). Our lives may not be how we planned, but they are our own and we strive every day to make our lives the best they can be. I know that quality of life is all relative. I can not compare my life or struggles to the next person, because all emotions are valid. If you feel your life is horrible, it probably is...but not because of the reasons YOU think. I feel that if you alive, if you are posting on the internet, if you live have a roof over your head, if you have food in your refrigerator...you are blessed. Even if you don't believe you are.

Okay so let me get off my platform...onto the "Challenge". It's simple.

Do something for someone else.

That's it. On twitter last week, I asked people to give to their local schools. The new school year starts in a few weeks, there are a lot of kids who do not have school supplies. $5 goes a long way at the Dollar Store (I got 4 packs of paper, two packs of pencils, one pack of pens, and some crayons) and I actually gave to a local shelter. Donate old clothes and shoes to local shelters or the Salvation Army. All my product junkies, if you have extras (and I KNOW you ladies do), take them to a women's shelter that can use them. We all want to feel beautiful. It's really the little things in life that can do so much.

If you have children, involve them too. This is about helping your community. Get them to pick out items, and go with you to deliver them. I don't do anything for praise. I try to take stuff and drop it off in the room and be out. Last time I gave out school supplies, some of the kids cried and I couldn't take it. $5 people.

It's not hard.

3 comments:

  1. I will let you know how it goes. @ fulfilling it. I usually try to do something like for a child every year. Usually one close to me that I already know their slack ass parent. Might branch out though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I apologize for being late. I think we can all "do better" for ourselves and as a people.
    I wanted to touch on the donation. It's funny because I try to do this regularly. This summer I was thinking about a store I frequent. I have passed on the idea of them taking collections for school supplies and donating them to the local shelter which is just blocks away. I'm definitely donating but I think if some businesses offered discounts or specials to shoppers who donate, this would be a huge help to the cummunity. Seriously, $5 can go a loooong way. This week Staples had 1-subject notebooks for a penny, A PENNY. You were limited to buying six but that's six books someone can use for school. I'm just saying. We really can do better. I know I'm trying. I commend you for doing the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that everyone should do what is best for them. Donate however you feel or contribute the way you wish. I mean, donating time feels good too!

    ReplyDelete