Friday, July 24, 2009

The "Hair" Blog

As many of you know, I am natural. Natural hair is awesome but it's work. I am learning what works for my hair and what ruins it. Right now I am trying to figure out how to define my curls. I have small curls, like the size of coffee stirrers that you get from Starbucks. And it's not working out. Today I decided to clarify my hair via baking soda. I like to mix two teaspoons of baking soda with half a cup of tresemme moisture rich and half a cup of water. This usually last about 2 or 3 washes, so I store it in a plastic container. This is the first time I did this in a long time. My hair is now smelling like a relaxer. My hair feels super clean and believe me, if you ever wash with baking soda, you will be shocked at how dirty hair gets. I am so mad. I even put cantu shea butter on it to make it smell better and for moisture. I smell like a perm with cocoa butter. It's sad. But anyway for those who didn't see it, the afro (please note: this is a camera phone pic because my camera is not compatible with Vista. that's so not awesome):

It's not too bad. But as you see, it's a cottony bush. My hair is very soft and that's what I love most about it. and it's long. My hair stretched is to my collar bone. I am trying to grow it to reach my bra when it's stretched.
Anyway in my quest to get awesome natural hair, I took this quiz on total beauty: What's the best Shampoo/Conditioner for your hair?



My results:


1. Aveda Dry Remedy Moisturizing Shampoo: $24, sulfate free, so maybe I will try it
2. Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner: $20 I believe, but I have heard bad things about the deep conditioner. I hear the leave in is great. However it works best on "mixed" hair I hear. I am no one's mixed. Or rather, I don't have "mixed" hair.
3. Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner: $6, it's bought

So okay I will buy all three of these items in the next week and try it out. I am hesitant to spend $50 on hair products, especially looking in my closest. I have over 10 sets of shampoo and conditioner and other various hair products. The floor in my bathroom is covered in hair products from ORS to Carol's Daughter to Ojon. But it seems my problem is moisture. So I will try it and see if this helps. A month or so from now I will review them all on here to see how well it works out for me. Take the quiz (it's clickable) and see what you get. My best friend got a interesting variety. I think the quiz can't tell the difference between "relaxed" and "colored/dyed" hair. But let me know.

1 comment:

  1. you look totally bitchin with natural hair, steph. and i say that with respect :c)

    ReplyDelete