Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Push by Sapphire (aka "Precious")

Where to begin?!?

I love this book. Hands down one of my favorite books. A lot of people I know do not care for this novel because it is too harsh. Push tells the story of a young girl named Precious who is pregnant by her father a second time. She is big, black, illiterate, and the mother of a daughter with down syndrome. She also has big dreams to make something out of her life. I won't give away the book but the biggest complaint about it is the writing. Sapphire is well educated but *tries* to write an illiterate 8th grader; and at times, it seems like she is trying to hard. It does not flow as well as "The Color Purple" but it is moving. Precious makes you love her from the first page, at least I did. I think Sapphire did an excellent job talking about an issue (incest and child abuse) that is often times taboo in the black community.

So when I heard a movie was being made, I was ecstatic. Then I heard Mo'Nique was playing the mother. I couldn't see Monique in that role; but I was wrong. Just viewing the trailer moved me. Newcomer Gabby Sidibe plays "Precious" and from what I have seen, she killed the role. There are videos of her trying out on youtube. Other stars include Mariah Carey and Lenny Kravitz. The official trailer dropped today and the movie will not be out until November. If you haven't read the book, PLEASE pick it up. It's only $5 on amazon. If you don't have the money, go check it out. If you enjoyed "Child of God" or "The Color Purple" you will like this book!



author's note: I feel like I am blogging alot now but I don't have shit else to do. so get over it.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! The preview had me teary eyed. When I read "Mariah Carey" I was like "this can't be good", but it looks like she's actually done a decent job!
    Thanks for posting this, Steff, I probably wouldn't have heard about it otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete