Monday, May 11, 2009

The Princess and the Frog

Disney has been around for over 100 years, or close to it. And for the first time in Disney history, they will be having an African American Princess.
Introducing Princess Tiana:



She is beautiful! Her name was originally "Maddy" (short for Madeline), but sounded like a slave name and was too close to "Mammy" (see: Gone with the wind). I actually like the name Tiana. Some may complain it's too ethnic but I am glad it is not a European name. Tiana is a beautiful name, and it's actually a common name here in Baltimore. Now "Shequanna" would be too much. Tiana is just right.

Traditionally African Americans have been given less than stellar roles in Disney movies. I sometimes think back to the Song of the South and Uncle Remus and Br'er Rabbit. If you have never seen this movie, you should google it or youtube it...something. I understand that times were different but the racism is blatant. And I could talk about the Crows in Dumbo, or Scar in Lion King. Cracked even did an article on The 9 Most Racist Disney Characters complete with youtube videos. However, this is about Princess Tiana.

I plan to support this movie. It's set in New Orleans, and there are themes of voodoo in the movie (of course). I have seen the trailer and I am hopeful that the movie will NOT make a mockery of black Americans. I hope that everyone out there will support this movie also on Dec. 11, 2009!!! Now when I have a daughter, she won't have to choose "Pocahontas" or "Jasmine" to look up too. Princess Tiana will be here. Peep the trailer below:

2 comments:

  1. i'm going to support this movie too, i just think it's weird that there's voodoo involved in it. but princess tiana is gorgeous!

    xoxo

    vixen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't lie: I was very excited when I heard about this movie. I thought it was just a rumor or someone pulling my chain until I saw the actual trailer in a theater for myself.

    That said, I am glad that Disney, founded by a blatantly rascist white man, decided to have a 'princess' of color...finally...took 'em long enough.

    Now, with THAT being said, I am a little concerned. The fact that it is set in the South and the Creole undertones of the movie have me a bit nervous. I shall reserve judgement until I actually SEE the movie in its entirety and I will take my Disney princess loving daughter to see it...but I'll be cautious throughout and I hope I won't have to do too much de-brainwashing afterwards...

    I've got my eye on you, Walt...

    ReplyDelete