Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Man Who Didn't Kill Malcolm X b/w Black books

So yeah I meant to do more for Black History month but alas, I have been busy. But even tho it's over, Black History is still important. I have recently began to read books again (YAY!!!) and I am a bit discriminatory.
I only buy African American books. Some are classics, some are new. My favorite book of all time is "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison. If you are a black woman and have NOT read this book, I beg you to read it. There are some women who will say that Toni Morrison is too difficult to read. I feel this is her "Easiest" read but also the most critical on how black women view themselves. The book overwhelms me in so many ways and I swear I can read it over and over. Each time I read it, I learn something new. The book is a "beautiful struggle". LOL.

This week I purchased two new books, "White Lines" by Tracy Brown and "72 Hour Hold" by Bebe Campbell Moore. I want to get Things Fall Apart by Chinea Achebe but I will wait. I think it's important for black people to first of all: READ. But more importantly, support black authors and read black, esp Classic, literature. It puts life and our struggle into a better perspective.

Now don't get it twisted, I love all types of literature. Some of my favorite books is "She comes undone" and "The Five People you meet in heaven", however, it hurts me somewhat to go into a book store and see one shelf dedicated to "African American books". Black History and contributions are more than one shelf so I figure the only way to get more books on shelves is if we buy more books. So I buy more books. And if you can recommend any good ones, let me know because I want a fierce book collection. My library is already bigger than the shelf in Borders in WhiteMarch Mall.

Part Two:
my friend is working on this documentary and it looks beyond dope. Check it out and leave feedback about it. it's worth it


Khalil Islam: The Man Who DID NOT Kill Malcolm X Trailer from Bucktown USA on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. I'd def check this out
    when does it drop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not sure but as soon as I find out, I will let everyone know.

    ReplyDelete